IMAGO Global Grassroots
Location: Bihar, India
IMAGO Global Grassroots works to help grassroots organizations and social enterprises scale up their development impact through strategic/capability building support. IMAGO looks to tackle the complex challenges around poverty not via technical solutions constructed top-down but rather via a design-driven, iterative, bottom-up approach that puts the poor at the heart of solution design and implementation. Using a participatory approach, we work with these organizations to define and then implement their scaling-up strategy over the medium term. The process involves understanding the unmet needs through human-centred design, testing their theory of change, and refining their unique value proposition. Together, we assess the organization’s current situation, the system in which it operates, the stakeholders it interacts with and its overall authorizing environment. We also work on their processes and data systems for prototyping innovations, tracking change, and assessing impact. This provides the organization with the necessary scaling up scaffolding to expand the reach of their solutions while remaining true to their values.
IMAGO currently has projects in India, Mexico, Paraguay and the United States. Learn more about what we do:
IMAGO is looking for a Research Associate to join the team in India to lead the State-level planning and execution of this project. She/he/they will oversee all aspects of evaluation engagements in to produce high-quality outputs and help the organizations we work with achieve social impact. The Research Associate is expected to develop a diverse skill set, including establishing relationships with stakeholder, developing expertise in a broad range of econometric, data, and field experiment tools and overseeing all project and/or office-related tasks at hand.
Background on the project: Over the next 3 years, IMAGO will undertake the monitoring, learning and evaluation (MLE) of a BMGF investment in Madhya Pradesh and Bihar to (1) enable greater convergence of NRLM and MGNREGA at the state level, (2) scale up Gender Resource Centers, and (3) promote public procurement of products and services offered by SHG women, with the overall goal of increasing women’s involvement in MGNREGA works planning, and improving women’s income, agency and access to benefits and entitlements. This MLE project will generate grounded evidence on what works to improve the viability and gains of government programs particularly among women, increasing social capital and strengthening synergies in government programs.
The Research Associate will report to the Senior Research Manager as well as the PI. The role will include the following tasks –
General Program Execution
- Ensure smooth and organized flow of information and support the execution of project.
- Engage with and maintain relationships with stakeholders at the mid-district levels of the government.
- Maintain and support relationships with partner organizations at various levels as required in the project.
- Engagement of internal and external experts, and construction of high-quality communication materials including policy briefs, technical reports, and presentation materials.
- Support on IMAGO’s knowledge production with the possibility of co-authoring.
Specific to the MLE for Scaling Convergence project
- Oversee the on-the-ground implementation of the evaluation in accordance with the research design and in close association with our partner organizations.
- Recruit, train, and supervise both field-based staff of surveyors and data operations teams.
- Travel frequently within the state to project sites to monitor and coordinate field activities for primary data collection during intervention monitoring.
- Support design of survey questionnaires, conduct qualitative research and interviews, run pilot exercises, refine study design, and survey instruments across process monitoring activities in close collaboration with the Senior Research Manager.
- Draft theories of change (ToCs) for project activities, by reviewing program documents and relevant literature in conjunction with the Senior Research Manager and PIs.
- Supervise data collection and data-entry, and ensure data quality and productivity in collaboration with the data partner, Sambodhi.
- Conduct data cleaning and preliminary data analysis, particularly, but not limited to, administrative data.
- Assist in drafting and preparation of documents and presentations for dissemination.
- Report to Senior Research Manager and PI on all the above-mentioned activities and any other work assigned.
This is a position at IMAGO based in Patna, India. With a 40% of travel requirement, mostly to Delhi and within Bihar. This role is ideal for you if –
- You have an advanced degree, preferably in economics, public administration or international development.
- You have experience with STATA and/or R data analysis software;
- You are fluent in Hindi.
- You have 2-4 years of relevant work experience.
- You have significant experience with data collection techniques and data analysis software.
- You are proficient in data analysis, visualizations and presentations.
- You are proficient with data collection techniques and field research including primary data collection.
- You have a deep passion and commitment to working on improving lives around the world which allows individuals to unlock their own latent agency.
- You are intellectually curious and enjoy taking ownership and initiative.
- You are effective at communicating and interacting with multiple stakeholders.
- Interested candidates should send their CV with 3 professional references, expected salary and cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Gayatri Rao, India Program Lead. The subject line of the email should be Research Associate – Bihar, Your Name
- Candidates shortlisted based on their CVs will receive a test that they will be asked to complete in the timeframe of 24 hours.
- Candidates shortlisted based on their test will then undergo at least 2 interviews.
IMAGO is looking to fill this position by 15th December. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.