Program Supervisor – Agriculture
Location: Delhi, India
Program Supervisor – Agriculture
ABOUT THE PROJECT
CottonAce is an AI-powered early warning system available through an app on Android smartphones. It helps farmers protect their crops by determining the right time to spray pesticides through immediate, localized advice.
The primary user of our solution is a cotton farmer who has installed pest traps and works closely with farmer welfare programs to manage pest infestations – referred to as a ‘Lead Farmer’. Lead farmers or extension workers will install the CottonAce app and upload a photo of pests collected in commonly-used pheromone traps to the CottonAce app. The AI algorithm identifies and counts the pests in the photo and determines the level of infestation, based on which a set of actionable advisories is given to the farmer. This information is shared with neighboring ‘cascade’ farmers, for whom no additional tools, including smartphones, are necessary.
The app works on a simple smartphone and even works offline in places with the low network coverage. It is available in 9 languages (English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, Odia, and Punjabi).
The Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence (Wadhwani AI) is an independent nonprofit institute developing AI-based solutions for underserved communities in developing countries.
We work with over 40 partners including key government agencies, international development organizations, NGOs, and research organizations to identify real-world challenges and create and deploy innovative AI solutions to reach intended users and beneficiaries – with the objective of creating sustainable, scalable impact.
Our projects are supported by leading philanthropies such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and Google.org. Our accolades include winning the Google AI Impact Challenge (one among 20 out of 2600 competitors globally) as well as multiple awards at the 2021 Fast Company World Changing Ideas.
Our current portfolio of initiatives spans tuberculosis, maternal, newborn & child health, Covid-19, and cotton farming.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supervision of M&E Implementation
- Managing and coordinating a team of at least 5 data consultants spread across geographies in India wherever our studies are being conducted (Gujarat, Punjab, Rajasthan, Telangana, Maharashtra, primarily)
- Coordination with WIAI data consultants, partner organizations, and WIAI Program & Monitoring & Evaluation team members regarding the above tasks
- Submission of collected data and reports to WIAI team members within the due dates
- Ensuring field protocols for M&E are adhered to
- Conducting re-training and feedback sessions to field staff and leading farmers
- Supervising and assisting field planning efforts for periodical data collection for Monitoring & Evaluation studies as per the defined methodology / proforma for trap-based solution
- Performing spot checks on data collectors
- Undertaking any activity needed to achieve the above objectives including travel, phone calls, etc.
2. Program Implementation
- Coordination of day-to-day activities of data collectors
- Supervising recording of observations from the demo plots for trap-free solution
- Supervision of collection of soil samples (which will be done by data collectors) and coordination with relevant EOs/FFs to get them submitted to KVKs and other labs
- Supervision of collection of farm diary data using the format developed by WIAI
- Coordinating with field officials of partner organizations and assisting in other field-related activities
3. To follow the field and survey plan provided to you
4. Travel to work field area(s)
5. Daily reporting to the Program Manager/MEL Associate as assigned.
- Post-Graduation in Agriculture or allied social science subjects
- Minimum 5 years of total work experience
- At least 1 year of field survey implementation and management experience
- Candidates with their own two-wheeler will be preferred
- Experience in survey enumeration/data collection
- Knowledge of and experience in any digital data collection software (e.g. SurveyCTO)
- Fluency in Hindi (reading, writing, speaking),
- Working knowledge of English
- Experience using Google Sheets & Google Docs
- Flexibility and willingness to travel for work purposes
JOB LOCATION – Rajasthan / Punjab / Delhi
Click here to apply.