Program Associate (Social Science)
The Nature Conservancy (TNC)
Location: Assam or Meghalaya
Apply by: 15/07/2022
Program Associate (Social Science)
POSITON TITLE: Program Associate (Social Science)
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: A PIONEER IN CONSERVATION LEADERSHIP
This is an exciting time at The Nature Conservancy (TNC) as we are shifting our strategy for greater impact in the world, seeking to address some of the most complex challenges facing people and nature — issues such as climate change, conserving lands, waters, and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more resilient and sustainable.
TNC’s mission is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. Rather than viewing development – including economic growth – and conservation as contradictory goals, TNC works to demonstrate how nature has value for people and development and how nature can provide enormous economic benefit. TNC envisions a future where people and nature can flourish together.
A world where the diversity of life thrives, and people act to conserve nature for its own sake and its ability to fulfil our needs and enrich our lives.
The Conservancy Team
We achieve this through the dedicated efforts of our 3,800 diverse staff, including more than 600 scientists, all of whom support conservation in 76 countries and all 50 United States. We are striving to develop a workforce as diverse as the places where we work, and we have a deep commitment to diversity.
TNC is the largest conservation organisation in the world, working in all 50 states in the United States and more than 76 countries. It was incorporated as a non-profit organization in the District of Columbia on October 22, 1951. TNC is science-based and in every place, we work, we partner with governments, businesses, and local communities. TNC is advancing its mission by protecting and restoring rivers, landscapes and oceans for people and their development at an unprecedented scale; it is transforming the way humanity uses the Earth’s natural resources to sustain ourselves.
About the Employer Organization
Nature Conservancy India Solutions Private Limited (NCIS) is a private limited company incorporated under the Companies Act 2013, having it registered office in India in New Delhi. India. It is a wholly owned Indian subsidiary of The Nature Conservancy. The company currently provides technical consultancy, monitoring & evaluation and other related services in the domain of conservation and environment to its various clients within and outside India.
YOUR POSITION WITH THE NATURE CONSERVANCY
TNC is initiating a project on Equitable Protection, with the current focus being on the North-eastern States. The goal of this project is to promote conservation of nature and natural resources, while also meeting the sustainable development needs of the communities who share their space with biodiversity. Gender equity is a particular focus under this project, as is the strengthening of local institutions to document wild and domesticated biodiversity, support improved management of community forests or community conserved areas and develop best practices for sustainable use.
This position is based in Assam or Meghalaya as per mutual agreement. S/he will work closely with the local partners who will undertake specific activities in the identified priority geographies, liaise with the governmental stakeholders at the state- and district-levels. S/he will serve as the local point of contact for communities, partners, and government agencies in the state and in priority districts/clusters. S/he will be responsible for effective implementation of activities at the ground level, through partners. S/he will also support in identifying and troubleshooting challenges, that may arise.
This position is with a one-and-a-half-year fixed term contract and position is based in Assam or Meghalaya as per mutual agreement.
Program Associate (Social Science) is responsible for ensuring effective implementation of field activities, through partners, in the priority geographies. This position will be responsible for providing technical and programmatic management support (particularly from the perspective of equity and gender) to conservation activities, thereby ensuring the mainstreaming of these concepts into project activities. They will be responsible for visiting field sites, implementing activities, coordinating work plan(s) at the field level, supporting technical design and execution of the planning process, managing partners and overseeing all field operations within the project. They will work closely with our field partners, local communities, and local government agencies and are a key representative of the project and organization in the landscape.
The incumbent will report to the project lead and work in close collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team working on this project, contributing significantly to the project technically and in managing stakeholder relationships. S/he will coordinate with a wide variety of stakeholders, manage local partners, prepare technical work products, and contribute to the overall project strategy.
- Executes all field-level activities of the initiative, in coordination with local partners and a multi-disciplinary team.
- Provides technical and programmatic hand-holding support to local partners.
- Manages relationships and engagements with local partners, communities, and government agencies.
- Designs, facilitates and coordinates trainings of partners’ teams, frontline staff from government agencies, community, and other stakeholders.
- Organizes consultations, workshops, roundtables to advance project goals.
- Contributes to technical reporting of the project to donor.
- Provides technical inputs (from the social science perspective) to the project lead on issues related to conservation and community-driven management planning.
- Captures lessons learned and applies an adaptive management approach.
- Manages reporting (both technical and financial) from field partners.
- Proactively identifies opportunities, potential challenges, and needs to ensure the project is successfully executed.
- Frequently travels domestically.
- Periodically may have to work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- BA/BS degree in sociology, economics or another related field of study and minimum 3 years’ related experience in application of these skills to conservation, environmental management, natural resource management, or any related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in community-based conservation initiatives in Northeastern India.
- Experience in managing partnerships (partners, community, government).
- Experience of implementing complex field projects (preferably on social aspects of conservation), including developing and overseeing work plans, and coordinating the work of other professionals and partners.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary diverse teams.
- Expertise in common computer applications such as MS Office.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Master’s degree and 6-8 years’ related experience in project implementation and project management related to community-based conservation will be an advantage.
- Direct experience of working on conservation and/or forest restoration issues with communities, including promoting equity in conservation or natural resource management
- Experience of working with community-level governance systems.
- Demonstrated experience of influencing, developing and implementing community-based conservation plans.
- Ability to develop practical applications of socio-economic concepts and technical knowledge for conservation purposes.
- Ability to collaborate and work with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications such as MS Excel and MS PowerPoint (or equivalent applications).
- Experience of designing, managing, and executing field projects in coordination with multiple partners and/or consultants.
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and at least one language relevant to the Northeastern States. Demonstrated competence in both technical and non-technical writing skills.
- Multi-lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Politically savvy.
|Builds Relationships||Builds productive relationships by interacting with others in ways that enhance mutual trust and commitment.|
|Collaboration & Teamwork||Works collaboratively with stakeholders across levels, geographies, backgrounds, and cultures to improve decisions, strengthen commitment, and be more effective.|
|Communicates Authentically||Communicates proactively and in a timely manner to share information, persuade, and influence with the appropriate level of detail, tone, and opportunities for feedback.|
|Develops Others||Takes ownership to help develop others’ skills, behaviours, and mindsets to help them maximize their workplace
|Leverages Difference||Demonstrates commitment to harnessing the power of differences strategically; consistently sees, learns from, and takes strategic action related to difference; and demonstrates the self-awareness and behaviours to work across differences of identity and power respectfully and effectively with all stakeholder. Actively seeks to build and retain a diverse workforce and fosters an equitable inclusive workplace by drawing upon diverse
|Systems Leadership||Thinks and acts from a broad perspective with a long-term view and an understanding of 1) the dynamic nature of large-scale challenges and 2) the need for integrating five key practices: skilfully engaging appropriate people; providing a clear process for change; taking a holistic view of situations; focusing on a small number of strategic actions, while learning from and adapting them over time; and being aware of how one’s own thinking or patterns of behaviour may be limiting change.|
NCIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of all genders with diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colours, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military or veteran status or other status protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Visit this link: https://careers.nature.org/
To apply to position number 51691, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. IST on 15-Jul-22, 2022.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of Nature Conservancy India Solutions’ background screening process.