Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Lead
Location: Remort work/Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Lead
Gramhal is looking for a MEL Lead to join our high-performing, flexible and non-hierarchical team. The MEL Lead will be responsible for setting up and leading all impact-related activities at Gramhal. This is a remote position with an option to work from our office in Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh.
Access to hyperlocal, contextual, and actionable information helps farmers make better decisions and earn more income.
Our Internal Impact Assessment Thesis
While we facilitate external long-term RCT studies on our work, internally, we prioritize being rapid, rigorous and product-led.
- Rapid Assessment: We are a fast-paced organization that quickly learns and iterates. Hence, collecting evidence rapidly becomes paramount. This creates a feedback loop that also helps in developing the product roadmap.
- Rigorous Enough: We strive to collect the most rigorous evidence based on the maturity of our product and resources in the organization. This includes a set of methods that can demonstrate statistically significant changes in outcome and a well-designed counterfactual that allows us to know what would have happened without our intervention.
- Product-Led Evidence Collection: Unlike other programmatic interventions, we can leverage our digital product to collect impact data and evidence. Hence, wherever possible, we prioritize using our product to collect evidence.
What should you expect from this role?
This role has two broad components – first is managing external research partnerships, which involves working closely with third parties who are doing research on our product. And second is conducting internal studies and developing MEL processes and systems.
Supporting External Research
- Manage ongoing external research on our product, including all stakeholder communication, coordination, and reporting.
- Contribute to the design and refinement of methodologies developed by external research bodies.
- Oversee the collection of high-quality data.
- Ensuring timely completion of the external studies.
- Sharing learnings with a broader audience by authoring reports, op-eds, blogs, policy papers, or other communications mediums.
- Identify reputable third parties research bodies and establish partnerships with them to conduct research on our work.
Building Internal MEL Vertical
- Synthesizing learnings from the existing relevant academic and scientific literature.
- Develop strategies for continuous monitoring and evaluation of all our interventions.
- Designing, conducting, and managing research activities.
- Set up effective data collection and quality processes to ensure high-fidelity records.
- Identifying and using suitable data sources to inform our scaling strategy.
- Supporting product team in measuring the effectiveness of new ideas/features.
- Recruit, manage and upskill teams who can perform advanced and reliable statistical analytics and conduct large-scale quick turnaround studies.
- Lead the impact-related institutional knowledge documentation and management.
Who are we looking for?
- We are looking for misfits – who feel their potential is untapped and who need a positive and caring ecosystem to bring out their best.
- This is a leadership role, and we are looking for a team member with significant MEL experience in developing countries and someone who has the ability to build a team.
- We are looking for an intrapreneur who loves working independently and has a bias for action to get things done.
- You can manage diverse groups of stakeholders’ expectations and objectives.
- You are highly organized and find joy in keeping track of many disparate moving pieces and helping others to do the same.
- Solid theoretical foundation in statistical modeling, analysis, and economic research through Postgraduate/Doctoral coursework.
- In-depth understanding of evaluation methodologies and standards.
- Experience in managing large-scale data collection efforts and/or impact evaluations.
- Experience in or awareness of best practices in the evaluation of digital interventions.
- Eager to travel to project sites and conduct fieldwork (if Covid-19 status allows).
- Experience in designing data pipelines to collect relevant data points.
- Extensive hands-on professional experience in data analysis using tools such as R/Stata/Python.
- Advanced knowledge and skill in data visualization and creating dashboards.
- Ability to succinctly present the impact story of the work to the internal team and external stakeholders. You know how to tailor communication for different audiences with wide-ranging technical and cultural backgrounds.
- Experienced in developing policy papers and reports, and should have demonstrated strong written communication skills in past work.
- Has a strong interest in and commitment to Gramhal’s mission to leverage technology to improve the lives of rural households at scale.
- You are passionate about Rapid Rigorous Assessments.
- Have empathy for the communities we serve and the ability to listen to stakeholders to understand their needs.
What do we offer?
- Compensation: To a best-fit candidate based on experience and skills, the annual salary for this role is expected to be in the range of rupees twenty lakh.
- Stress-free work culture: We are audaciously ambitious and fast. Over the past two years, we have done pioneering projects in the Indian agriculture sector. This does not mean that our team is constantly stretched and stressed. We have developed a culture where everyone expands their ability and happiness. If you don’t believe us – use Speak With Anyone to hear first-hand experiences.
- Opportunity to build your leadership muscle: Leaders are not born; they are nourished. We all have in ourselves what it takes to be a leader. All we need is a conscious effort to harness it actively. To support every team member’s leadership journey, we have an Emotional Intelligence Leadership Coach who works one-on-one to support in your personal and professional challenges.
- Passionate and inspiring team: Gramhal is a collective of exceptional human beings who are highly professional in what they do. Their passion is infectious, and rarely are there days when someone does not do something inspirational. If you thrive in a democratic work culture and want to see the direct impact of your work on people’s lives – this role is for you!
- Career Success: We root for each team member’s long-term career success. We offer a stellar role, title, experience and recommendations to elite employers and academic institutions. Those who stay for more than two years get the opportunity to join the leadership team.
- Read this Job description; if it speaks to your heart and mind, please fill out this form with sincerity. Your 200 words response to why do you want to join us will be prioritized over your resume.
- ‘Ask Me Anything’: To better understand the role and the organization, we will organize a 30- minute space over Zoom where you can ask us anything. From our side, we will be focusing on understanding the value alignment.
- Gauging the technical skill and expectations: A 60–75-minute space over Zoom to learn more about your technical expertise and understanding why you want to join and your expectations from the organization.
- Assignment: You will receive an assignment that will take around 4-5 hours of your time. We will decide the timeline in consultation with you accommodating your current personal and professional commitments. This is the last step from our side.
- Receive offer or feedback: If not selected, acknowledging, and respecting your time and efforts to go through the selection process, we will provide you with detailed, constructive feedback.
- Speak with anyone: If you received an offer from us, you would get a chance to select any team member from the organization and schedule a call to get a deeper insight into the organization’s culture.
- Make Decision: Finally, you will decide whether we are deserving enough to get an opportunity to work with you!
More About Gramhal
Gramhal Foundation was founded in 2019 with a mission to bridge the data divide for rural households in India, enabling them to make data-driven decisions. Our work has been recognized, for its innovation and potential for scale, at national and international platforms. We have won awards at Harvard Business School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cisco Global Problem Solver, among many others. To understand our work and its context, please read this article in Indian Express.
Read More About Our Hiring Principles
Gramhal believes in workforce diversity. We encourage applications from women, the LGBTQ community, minority groups, indigenous groups, and persons with disabilities. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Gramhal believes in bringing equity to the hiring process. We provide all candidates with the opportunity to get to know us and get clarity on their questions/concerns through ‘Ask Me Anything’ and ‘Speak With Anyone’. In the ‘Ask Me Anything’, the candidate can ask any question to the selection committee.
Whereas, in ‘Speak With Anyone’, the candidate can use anyone from the organization beyond the selection committee to gain genuine and deeper insights about the organization.
We believe that to respect each other’s time and effort, transparency and accountability in the recruiting process are of utmost importance. Hence, we provide the selection process details and would request you to keep this in mind as you interact with us.
One of our core values is a learning mindset. Hence, we seek feedback on our selection process from the candidates and provide constructive feedback to all applicants who reach the Assignment stage.
Link to apply: http://bit.ly/3VfRBbZ